Horsham District Council is committed to ensuring digital accessibility for people with disabilities. We are continually improving the user experience for everyone, and applying the relevant accessibility standards.
We want as many people as possible to be able to use the Rookwood Horsham website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader
The Rookwood Horsham website is built using the Squiz Matrix content management system.
Measures to support accessibility
Horsham District Council takes the following measures to ensure accessibility of the Rookwood Horsham website:
- Include accessibility throughout our internal policies
- Integrate accessibility into our procurement practices
- Provide continual accessibility training for our staff
- Include people with disabilities in our user research programmes
- Employ formal accessibility quality assurance methods
- Maintain an accessibility improvement roadmap
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA.
The Rookwood Horsham website is partially conformant with WCAG 2.1 level AA. Partially conformant means that some parts of the content do not fully conform to the accessibility standard.
Additional accessibility considerations
Although our goal is WCAG 2.1 Level AA conformance, we have also applied some Level AAA Success Criteria.
Accessibility of the Rookwood Horsham website relies on the following technologies to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
These technologies are relied upon for conformance with the accessibility standards used.
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technology
The Rookwood Horsham website is designed to be compatible with the following assistive technologies:
- Screen reader, font size, colour theme, ruler, screen mask, dictionary, languages, text-mode, audio download, screen magnifying, adjustable settings, reset button, user guide, keyboard navigation
The Rookwood Horsham website is designed to be compatible with the following browsers:
- Safari, Chrome, IE, Edge, Samsung internet, Firefox, Safari (in-app), Amazon silk, Android webview, Opera, Opera Mini, Android browser, UC browser, Bitdiscovery, Blackberry, DDG-Android-3.1.0, Maxthon, Mozilla, Mozilla Compatible Agent, Puffin, PS4, SeaMonkey, YaBrowser, BrowserNG, Iron
The Rookwood Horsham website is designed to be compatible with the following operating systems:
- iOS, Windows, Android, Macintosh, Chrome OS, Linux, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Xbox, Tizen, SymbianOS, Google TV
The Rookwood Horsham website is not compatible with:
- Dillo, iCab, Lunascape, Lynx, Mosaic, NetSurf
Limitations and alternatives
Despite our best efforts to ensure accessibility of the Rookwood Horsham website, there may be some limitations.
Below is a description of known limitations, and potential solutions. Please contact us if you observe an issue not listed below.
Known limitations for the Rookwood Horsham website:
Uploaded images may not have text alternatives because we cannot ensure the quality of contributions. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content). We monitor images and typically repair issues within 10 working days
Third party content
Our site includes third party content and functionality.
Depending on our relationship with the third party, we cannot always guarantee its accessibility.
Links to other websites
For the benefit of our users we link to other websites, including:
- News websites
- Social media platforms
- Official information sources, such as The Met Office, GOV.UK or NHS.UK.
We are not responsible for the accessibility of these or any other websites we do not manage.
Third party platforms
We often create content which is hosted on third party platforms. This includes:
- Content we create for social media, such as Facebook or Twitter
- Video which we host on YouTube or Vimeo
- Data we supply to national databases
We are responsible for ensuring the content we supply meets accessibility requirements; however, we are not responsible for the accessibility of the platform itself.
For example, when we add video to one of our YouTube channels, we will ensure any subtitling, captions and audio-description are included as required. However, we are not responsible for the accessibility of the video player itself.
We have not identified any elements that qualify as a disproportionate burden.
Horsham District Council assessed the accessibility of the Rookwood Horsham website by the following approaches:
- Internal and external user research testing
- Silktide automated reporting and benchmarking
What we're doing to improve accessibility
Horsham District Council continues to assess the accessibility of the Rookwood Horsham website by the following approaches:
- training and for staff on how to create accessible pages and documents
- ongoing monitoring of accessibility issues using automated testing Silktide
- procedures have been put in place for when procuring or developing online systems
How we test the website
The Rookwood Horsham website is continually tested using an automated solution Silktide. All pages of the website and PDF documents within the website are tested.
What to do if you can’t access parts of this website
If you need information from this website in a different format like an accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille, please contact us on email email@example.com or call us using our contact the Council page.
We will consider the request and respond within 5 working days.
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of the Rookwood Horsham website.
Please let us know if you encounter accessibility barriers on The Rookwood Horsham website:
- Phone: 01403 215100
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham RH12 1RL
We try to respond to feedback within 5 working days.
We aim to respond to accessibility feedback within 5 working days, and to propose a solution within 10 working days.
You are entitled to escalate a complaint to the Council’s complaints officer email@example.com, should you be dissatisfied with our response to you.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Formal approval of this accessibility statement
This Accessibility Statement is approved by Horsham District Council’s Head of Technology Services. To view a signed version of this statement please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This statement was last updated on 4 February 2021. This statement will next review it in September 2021.